History

We are very proud of St James’ Church, and consider ourselves fortunate to have such a beautiful building entrusted to our care.

St James’ has Norman origins, and the layout design follows the pattern of many traditional places of worship.

 

Documents prove that a church has existed on this site since 1143, and it is probable that there was some sort of church here before the Norman conquest. Some fragments of the original Norman building were found in 1907, and these were built into the existing porch.

 

Like most parish churches, St James’ has been repaired, extended and altered through the ages, and the present building contains no architectural feature dated earlier than the thirteenth century.

 

In 2008 we put into action plans and dreams that had been discussed for many years; to provide St. James with much needed essential facilities to meet the needs of an ever growing church and community. These improvements have now been completed, providing us with a servery, toilet facilities, teaching room, children’s room and more storage space. We’re all delighted with these superb new facilities, and a big thank you to all who helped make it happen.

 

Those familiar the works of the novelist George Eliot will be interested to know that two of the characters mentioned in ‘The Mill on the Floss’ are buried in the churchyard. More details can be found in the photographic tour below.

Photographic tour of St James' Church

For a detailed look at our church, click through the slide show. The slide number corresponds to its location at the church.

Our address

School Road

Bulkington

Bedworth

Warwickshire

CV12 9JB

© 2015 The Parish Church of St James, Bulkington