pentecost3This Sunday is Pentecost, join us for our 'virtual service' on Sunday at 10am. The service has been recorded and will be available to watch on here, our Youtube channel or on our Podcast page.

Download the order of service from the attachment list 

Attachments:
FileDescription
Download this file (Pentecost A Acts 2 1Corinthians 12 John 20 31052020.docx)Sermon for Pentecost 
Download this file (Pentecost Service 2020.pdf)Order of Service for Pentecost 

 

 

 

 

 

As we still can't worship in church as a congregation, join with us on Ascension Day for a 'virtual' service of Holy Communion.

Charles will celebrate this festival from St James Church in a recorded video service. The service will be available to watch from 8am tomorrow morning both here and on our Holy Communionfacebook page. The order of service is available to download from the attachment list so that you can follow the service, along with the text of Charles' sermon for today.

Attachments:
FileDescription
Download this file (Ascension Day 2020.docx)Sermon for Ascension Day 
Download this file (Ascension Day Service 2020.pdf)Order of Service 

St James Church Bulkington Nuneaton Deanery,

Diocese of Coventry

Annual Report of the Parochial Church Council for the year ended 31st December 2021

Vicar’s Welcome

A very warm welcome to the Annual Parochial Church Meeting (APCM) for this year. During this meeting we will look back on 2021, look forward to the rest of 2022, as well as fulfilling our legal duties to this parish that has been entrusted to our care. In one of the reports that follow, Sue insightfully calls 2021 a year of “twists and turns” and indeed it was. We went into the longest national lockdown on 6th January 2021 and we ended the year with “plan B” measures, which heightened restrictions relaxed in the summer. Navigating these twists and turns has been draining in all sorts of expected and unexpected ways. St James has dealt with all of these things with characteristic creativity, determination and commitment 4 that I have found profoundly moving and for which I must thank each one of you. All through the Bible, there is a pattern of exile and return. Abraham is called out of obscurity to follow God. The Israelites are rescued from slavery in Egypt and brought to the Promised Land. Generations later they are taken into exile in Babylon and brought back to a different world. Through all of these twists and turns, the Bible bears witness to the key truth they realise in the midst of difficulty and uncertainty: God is with us. We have lived in that pattern of exile and return this year. Throughout all that change, we have held one another in that truth that has not and will not change: God is with us. I commend this report to you as a snapshot of the way that God has been with us and we have been with one another and with our parish in 2021. I shall present a fuller spoken report to the Annual Meeting on 15th May 2022, which will explore 2021 thinking about the gifts that God gives us. You are one of those gifts: thank you for all you bring to St James. I would like to thank Sue and Rachel, Ken, the PCC, and for everyone who serves God here, noticed and unnoticed. As ever, I am especially grateful to Vicky Buckley and May Davis for preparing the electoral roll, and to May for her tireless efforts drawing up the paperwork for the APCM and preparing this report.

With every blessing,

Charles

The full APCM document can be accessed fron the link below.

Attachments:
FileDescription
Download this file (APCM Annual Report 202122.pdf)APCM Booklet 

A verbal report was given by Rev Charles, which covered:

  • The success of ‘Marriage by Design’ run collaboratively with other churches in the Deanery for wedding couples
  • Wedding, Funeral and Baptism Ministry
  • Bishop Christopher’s vision for the diocese of Renewed Health, New Growth, Renewed Relationships
  • How we might interpret that at St James with reference to the Visitation of Mary and Elizabeth (Luke 1:39-45)
  • Plans for Easter and Holy Week. Seeking PCC members to support Easter experience with St James school
  • Plans for Platinum Jubilee – including the beacon and an ecumenical service, with bellringing happening 2nd June.
  • Friday – Picnic in the Park
  • Saturday – coffee morning
  • Sunday – street party for the generations
  • HeartEdge – Congregation, Compassion, Culture and Commerce

Present:

Rev Charles (Chair), Rachel Cooper: Ian Corden: May Davis:     John May: : Rachel Partridge: Susan Turner; Graham Nuttall.

1.Opening prayers

2.Apologies:

Chris Catlin, Sybil Randle:Ken Sleeman

3 Declarations of interest:

There were no declarations of interest.

 4.Minutes of meetings held on 23 02 2022 and 21 2 2022

The minutes of the above meetings were unanimously accepted as a true record.

5.Matters Arising:

Logo:

CH showed the logo of choice which received favourable comments. This will

be introduced on the lead up to Easter. CH will investigate the possibility of badges featuring the logo.

Bell Restoration:

Minutes of the meeting on 21 2 2022 were circulated.   The first survey will take place on 8th April 2022.

Church Noticeboard:

The suggestion to make a public appeal for funding was suggested and it was agreed to

discuss this at the next meeting.

Natasha’s Law:

It was confirmed that this law is being adhered to at the coffee mornings and other Church events.

Big Conversation:

A successful meeting was held - IC and RC are arranging to meet with CH to feedback following which an action plan will be drawn up.

Platinum Jubilee:

CH reported on discussions from the Platinum Jubilee Village Committee and the events planned. RC suggested a “Parish Lunch” – it is a likely that there will be an event in the Village on the Saturday which could be attended. A Flower Festival at St James over the Jubilee weekend is being planned. Members from St Botolphs will contribute to this. Funds needs to be raised to finance this which ST will organise .  Refreshments will be served during the Church opening times and a rota will be established to cover this.

The programme looks as follows:

Thursday 2 6 2022                              4.00 p.m. Town Crier

                                                            Beacon Lighting

                                                            Bellringing from 19.52 – 20.22

                                                            Ecumenical service in the rec

Friday 3 6 2022                                   Picnic in the Park – Rec

Saturday 4.6.2022                              Coffee Morning

Sunday 5.6.2022                                Pentecost

                                                           Street Party, with guests invited from school and retirement communities

  1. Vicar’s Report:

Please see attached report

  1. Vision for the next 5 years:

https://www.coventry.anglican.org/our-vision.php

Bishop Christopher recorded a video which can be accessed via the above website. This was discussed and differing views shared.

  1. Reports from Sub-Committees:

(a) Buildings Sub-Committee:

There had been no meeting but it was reported that Grass Cutting is due to start in April but it may be necessary to arrange an earlier cut due to the growth

Extension to the cremation plot is due to be carried out by the end of March. GN will obtain a quote to remove the soil in the churchyard.

The hedge between the churchyard and bowling club ground was discussed and CH will have a conversation with the relevant people about some kind of screening between the two areas.

b.Worship Sub-Committee:

CH raised the return of the common communion chalice, and after some discussion it was agreed that this should be re-introduced on Easter Sunday – it would be the choice of individuals to partake of this. It was also agreed to return to sung liturgy and passing round the offertory plate. The singing of two hymns would continue and CH would make a decision about members of the congregation delivering the communion elements.   CH detailed the services for Holy Week.

  1. Finance Sub-Committee:

The annual accounts for 2021 had been circulated and were approved. In his absence CC had circulated some notes on the current financial status,

CH commented that the Parish Giving Scheme had proved beneficial and mention of this facility will be emphasized at the APCM.

  1. Safeguarding Update:

There was no update on this occasion. Further safeguarding training is being arranged.

  1. Charitable Giving:

St James “charitable giving” was discussed and various views expressed on how  we should manage this in these challenging financial times remembering that

St James is a charity. It was agreed to ask the Finance Committee to discuss this and offer some advice.

  1. Website:

Comments had been received that the website was rather difficult to navigate – this is the original website which was created and is not a criticism but an observation. It was agreed that it would be worth   CH, IC and DC having a “brainstorming” session to discuss this.

  1. Any other business:

There was no other business.

  1. Date of Next Meeting:

Monday 25 04 2022 at 7.30 p.m.

  1. The meeting closed with the Grace.

St James Church  BULKINGTON           

Present:

Rev Charles (Chair), Ian Corden, May Davis, John May, Rachel Partridge, Susan Turner, Sybil Randle

1.Opening prayers

2.Apologies:

Chris Catlin, Rachel Cooper

3  Declarations of interest:

There were no declarations of interest.

4.Bell Restoration Project:

Gerald Trevor attended for this item.

1 Who is going to manage the project

Gerald detailed his experience both as a professional and with previous bell

restoration projects and is willing to act as Project Manager.

2.How much disruption is there likely to be to the function of the church?

All of the work will be undertaken behind the wooden doors which lead into the choir area – there may be some noise but if there were to be a Church function the bell restoration work could be tailored to suit.

 3. How long is the project likely to take

The scale of the work was detailed and the time span is likely to be around 5 months.

4.How much contingency funding is in the quote?

There are several variables in this which Gerald discussed and this figure cannot be approximated at the moment until further surveys/issues have been resolved and the gift aid has been calculated on the pledges. However, there is a recognised figure for this type of work and   a 5% contingency needs  to be built in.

5. Where are the pledges coming from which are mentioned in the quote?

For the time being the donors wish to remain anonymous but Gerald reassured the PCC that they are known to him and bona fide.

6. Geoff has kindly offered to fund the VAT in the first instance – should his situation change can we be certain that we will be able to access these funds?

Should Geoff’s situation change and his offer was not available Gerald and Joy would fund the VAT in the first instance

7. Looking at “next steps” should we not be considering that further grant applications and confirmation of donations and pledges should be top  of the list before any

order is placed?

This is the recommended order for the process by the Central Council for Church the Church Bell Ringers Association.

 8 If and when this happens,  is Adrian Dempster’s  fee included in the quote?

No,  but the Bell Ringers’Fund will cover this.

 9  Who is going to approach the potential donors?

Geoff, Joy and Gerald will accept responsibility for this. There is advice available from the Central council of Bell Ringers who offer guidelines.

10  Who is going to submit the faculty?

Rev Charles will do this supported by information and documents from Graham and the Bell Ringers.  There is a Diocesan Bell Ringers’ Advisor who will be able to support this process. The PCC will pay for the faculty.

11 Are Taylors going to charge for producing detailed specifications and drawings?

No, there will be no charge for this.

12   How are the old bells disposed of ?

Gerald detailed various disposal methods but this is as yet undecided.

 Additional comments:

There is a significant marketing opportunity  within this project as there will be a time when  the old bells to be viewed within the Church and for the new bells to be viewed before they are hung. This is a time to engage and involve the community within the fund raising element of the project.

Rev Charles thanked Gerald for his time and expertise.

The PCC considered the answers and unanimously agreed that the Bell Ringers’ should be instructed to go ahead -  this needs to come back to the PCC when the Faculty has been approved. It should be noted that there is no cost to the PCC (apart from the payment of the faculty) until this point. 

5. Safer Recruitment and People Management:

There was a significant discussion on this and it was agreed that the only activity which falls into this category is Seashells but further consideration should be given  and guidance sought regarding the  Pastoral Team

Rev Charles confirmed that there are only a few elements of the recruitment process which need to be completed for the members of the Seashells volunteers and he will deal with these.

It was agreed that Café Church did not fall into this category. However, a risk assessment  needs to be undertaken . Rev Charles will deal with this.

Further discussion took place on safeguarding and the safeguarding dashboard which Sue, as SO, will bring up to date.

A further Safeguarding Training session will be arranged by Sue.

The PCC has processed the Safer Recruitment and People Management regulations which were issued by the Diocese.

6. The Meeting closed with the Grace.

 

 

Subcategories